Monday, March 17, 2014

Hike and pizza in a wood-fired oven

Yesterday, March 16th was so full I don't know what to leave out.

My host, Pep and I met in the kitchen at 7 AM, swallowed strong coffee and piece of fruit, and drove a few km to a trailhead for a walk up the mountain immediately to the south. Like many hikes in Europe the destination was driveable but there are walking and mountain bike trails. We walked through an attractive mixed forest with some shrubs and wildflowers in bloom. A few hours later we were at a pretty little mountain refuge where we had a meal of some typical Catalan food. I kept the wine consumption low because I’m out of shape for this European style of hiking. I’m confident that the food (olives, onions, salt cured fish, roasted vegetables, beans, bread) was delicious but I would have wolfed down anything after that 3 hour uphill hike. The weather was gorgeous and I got to see the other half of the trail views on the return trip. 
Pep in the little village of Rojals (980 m) where we had our late morning Catalan meal

After a break back at the house, Pep and Dolors and I had meal #2 at 2 pm outside on a picnic table. They said it was their first time of this year for them. It was potato chips, bread, a roasted chicken from the store, and a bottle of Catalan sparkling wine. 
Me, Pep and his wife Dolors eating in the afternoon outside at the guest cabin 
In late afternoon, we made a trip to the woods to cut firewood but I didn't take any photos. It was some of the hardest work you could imagine on a holiday, but heck, I'm a temporary member of the family! 

In the evening at the family farm a few km away, the outdoor oven was fired up and we baked three pizzas. There was a great deal of fuss made over their guest's cooking, even by the daughter and son-in-law who run what sounds like a gourmet, local food restaurant! I'm glad I brought my pocket camera. 

What a long day with such kind hosts!
  

2 comments:

  1. Hola, Pat. Looks like a great trip. Also, you look younger without your beard. I am keeping mine for the duration as I definitely look worse without it.
    Phil R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Pat - Estamos disfrutando tu blog. Parece que la comida es tan importante para españoles como para los peruanos. Bueno que estás haciendo mucho ejercicio también. Abrazos, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete