Sunday, March 16, 2014

At my first host's house

I am now in L'Espluga de Francoli, a 2 hour train ride west of Barcelona at the house of my first host (found on workaway.info). 

I spent most of the day helping with yard cleanup at Dolors’ parents farm a few km away. They have an orchard of mostly almond and a few olive trees. The almond trees are at the peak of their bloom and they look like apple in flower – beautiful! When the lunch was served (about 2) there were 10 at the table – two sets of grandparents, a sister, two sons and me. The short description of the meal is vegetables, sausage, bread, olive oil, sweets and fruit passed around on family sized platters. Their common language is Catalan so I didn't learn much while listening. It was sort of like being a fly on the wall in the true sense, i.e. the fly can’t understand language. They are wonderfully welcoming and kind people though.


Back at Pep’s house, we made a quick visit to a local monastery and squeezed in another project before dinner, a bit of carpentry repairing the treads in a wooden bridge on the back of their house which is up against a rock cliff. I also just got connected to their wireless and started a batch of bread for later and pizza for tomorrow. They have a wood oven at the family farm and I can’t wait to try that for the first time! It will be three pizzas for group of family. I’m going to send this now and edit it later so I can get to bed. Pep and I are planning to meet in the kitchen 7 AM to go hiking! It seems like a whirlwind day!

Here is the farm house with a flowering almond tree. 

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous, Pat - you seem to have found the perfect place to both help out the host and take wonderful photos too. Looking forward to reading more when you get time. No wine?

    ReplyDelete