Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Nationalism

Living with a Catalonian (Catalunyan) family in a small town has been fascinating. Not only am I far from home, but I also feel like I’m in two foreign countries at once. Spain yes, but everyone around here would say I’m in Catalunya! My hosts speak Catalan most of the time and the TV I’ve seen is mostly either in Catalan with Spanish subtitles or Spanish with Catalan subtitles.

According to Wikipedia, Catalonia is an “autonomous community” of Spain. This should sound familiar to my friends at home who remember that the Government of Canada recognized Quebec as a nation within Canada. Such token recognition will never satisfy serious separatists though and there is going to be an independence referendum here this fall. It’s not clear what will happen if there is a “yes” vote. Spain and the EU say they would not recognize a unilateral vote for independence. This is a serious issue for the people here but from my point of view, the strong cultural and national identity behind it creates a rich experience for a visitor!
Catalunyan coat of arms set in Pep and Dolors' garden wall



No comments:

Post a Comment