Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Feast of San Guiseppe

This was a special day for my host family because it’s the name day of two family members, thus calling for a big meal with lots of people. At Mirmanda, the family farm, there was a lot of carrying, cooking, and yard work (trimming olive trees) before 13 people settled down at the big table for a couple hours of eating and socializing. We started with about eight different finger foods including bagged chips, smoked salmon, olives, a pesto of bacalà (cod), anchovies, cheese, etc. When that was cleaned up the paella, prepared outside over a fire in a huge skillet by Xavi (SHA vee), was brought in and served with a few big salads. I felt confident enough to insinuate myself into a picture taking role and was delighted to be accommodated. 

There was a wide variety of alcoholic beverages available throughout. I was seated between two delightful people with whom I enjoyed trying to communicate! One made a big fuss about the smoked salmon, and Canada. The other had a booming voice and repeatedly did little things to make me feel welcome.

The paella was incredible in both quantity and quality! I assume Xavi might be the owner and/or head chef at his restaurant! I had seconds but then the desserts came out and I HAD to have a piece of the Catalunya Independence cake, dusted with powdered sugar with a little paper cutout of something that looked like part of a coat-of-arms and a couple of flags, thus leaving an image on top of the cake!
Xavi serving his paella

Twelve members of my host's family starting on the main course

No comments:

Post a Comment