Thursday, March 26, 2015

The art and craft of pottery, 2,300 years ago

I'm catching up with posts after being on trains and off the internet for a couple days.

I know very little about pottery and less about art history but I was awed by the pottery collection at the provincial archaeological museum in Lecce, Italy three days ago. Two things impressed me about the two thousand year old ceramics - the large size of some of the pieces and the applied artwork. The ones I liked most had paintings inspired by nature and human form. Since my knowledge is so deficient, I'll just post some photos and dates.

Museo Provinciale, Lecce - Free admission
From the 4th or 3rd century B.C.
Looking closely at the brush strokes it's clear much of the colour has faded. See next photo.




















You can see the old brush strokes.  That's some kind of bird in the middle surrounded by flowers perhaps.
Imagine what it looked like before the colours faded! 
More colour survives in these pieces from the 5th century B.C. 

This piece from the 4th century B.C. was at least 60 cm high! 

Detail on previous piece
That's enough before I get carried away! Maybe some of my potting friends can enlighten me later.







No comments:

Post a Comment