Saturday, March 21, 2015

Finished working and eating in Ostuni

I helped my hosts with a few different projects here in Ostuni but it's nice to accomplish a single big task from start to finish before saying goodbye. Firewood has been been a recurring theme with my previous Workaway and Helpx gigs and that was the case here. You might not immediately think of needing a lot of firewood in southern Italy but with high electricity and propane prices, wood burning stoves are the only reasonable option. The stone houses don't help and it's colder here than I expected. I have worked outside in my t-shirt only twice ;-)

Peter and Sareeta had two loads of wood delivered, mostly olive and all green. Judging by the second load, which had been weighed before delivery, the pile in the photo is 50 quintali or 5 metric tons! It was nearly twice the volume before I moved and stacked it. I estimate it's about 2-1/2 cords. There's another 3/4 cord tucked away in other places and Peter says they'll need even more for next winter!

My main job in Ostuni, in return for room, board, and new friends


They took me out to a trattoria in Carovigno for special treat of antipasti last night. There were a total of at least 10 plates of delicious things brought to the table over a period of about an hour and a half, mostly seafood. A large number of small things makes a large amount!
Sareeta and Peter enjoying the first few antipasti last night

No comments:

Post a Comment