Sunday, March 22, 2015

Most tourists don't go grocery shopping

I'm now in a little hotel in the city of Lecce for a few days, in the heel of Italy's boot.  It's a beautiful city with a large historic centre, including a partially exposed Roman amphitheatre.

After being treated to a large going away dinner on my last night with my Workaway hosts in Ostuni, I thought I'd buy groceries and eat in my hotel room for a change. It's not much fun eating alone in a restaurant and this would be cheaper. It's also a "mini adventure" buying groceries with the locals. This was a self-serve market so that was fine. However, I did have to ask for lasagna in the deli (the smallest pre-measured size was 500 grams) and I had to figure out what to do with my bulk oranges. Here, you have to put them on a digital scale, punch in their code and push a button to get the price sticker. Not complicated but it is a little puzzle to figure out and it's fun to shop like you're a local.

This will be almost all the food I need for two days!

Lasagna and red wine (on sale) were from the deli

Weighing and stickering the oranges

Italians are not famous for their healthy breakfasts!

Cheese, yogurt, lasagna, arugula, whole grain snacks, oranges, and red wine - 20 Euros

No comments:

Post a Comment