Monday, March 16, 2015

First call on my first mobile phone!

I was rather pleased with my first call on my "new" mobile phone yesterday.

I bought a refurbished, unlocked iPhone 3 for this trip, figuring it would be useful as a standalone GPS at the very least. At just over $100 it HAS been worth it for that alone, combined with MotionX downloadable maps. However, while in Naples, I also bought a pay-as-you-go SIM card at Vodafone for 20 Euros.

After spending the weekend in the beautiful little town of Ostuni, I checked out of my guest house and was on the street with my bag at 10:00 Sunday morning. I had until 4:00 in the afternoon before I was going to be picked up by my Workaway hosts but my host at the guest house said I could leave my bag at the tourist info office (Informazioni Turistiche) at the main piazza because they would be open at 10:00. Sounded easy.

In fact, the tourist office WASN'T open, but then it hadn't been open on Saturday either.

What to do? I didn't want to lug my bag around Ostuni all day so I worked up my nerve and made my first call with my first cell phone. A man answered "pronto" and I managed to tell him with beginner's Italian that I would like to leave a bag at the tourist office until 3:30. He came a half hour later, locked up my bag, and I saw more sights in Ostuni until he showed up promptly at 3:30!

Tourist Information office in Ostuni, Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment