Sunday, April 27, 2014

Travel tip #3 - Make good use of zippered pockets!

This is about not losing stuff while travelling. It's a bad habit of mine.

I've got two examples from this trip, both of which could have been prevented by making better use of zippers. Fortunately, neither loss was serious.

The first lost item was prescription reading glasses. I lost them while riding a very crowded subway in Barcelona. They were in a windbreaker pocket that had a zipper but I didn't have the zipper closed. This loss could also have been prevented if I didn't have to always take them on and off. I'll make sure my next pair aren't like that (i.e. bifocals with plain glass on top).

The second lost item was the cash in my wallet and it happened while riding a night train from Granada to Tarragona. I'd never done that before and it's an interesting way to travel. I had a bunk in a little room with three other guys. Before crawling into bed I took off my pants and put my wallet on a little shelf that was tucked up against the wall above my head. I didn't notice my lack of cash until the next day when I tried to buy a map upon my arrival in Tarragona. Fortunately, only the cash had been taken and I was close to a bank machine. Losing 80 Euros is nothing compared to losing a whole wallet or passport so I consider myself lucky! In retrospect, it seems pretty stupid to take your wallet out of your pocket in the presence of strangers and go to sleep!

I would have attached a photo of my lost cash but I didn't think of photographing it.

Auxiliary travel tip, bring extras of critical things like glasses and credit cards. Keep them in different places. Fortunately, I brought extra glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment