Monday, April 21, 2014

Orgiva's annual food and craft fair

Easter is a big deal all over Spain this town of a few thousand people had its share of events. The one I liked was this four-day indoor fair which featured local wine, beer, cheese, cured meats, olive oil and handcrafts.
The 19th Fair of tourism, crafts and food in Orgiva Spain
I happily visited a beer booth and a cheese booth over and over. The vendors were very friendly and anxious for fair-goers to sample their products. The beer that impressed me the most was a hoppy ale with marjoram added. I would never have guessed that marjoram would add such a pleasing aroma to beer. They also had samples of different malted barleys. This was new to me so I obviously haven't been to enough beer fairs! On Thursday I asked if I could buy a half kilo of the malt but they didn't have enough on hand. I returned every day and finally on Sunday they gave me little bags containing five different malts! They wouldn't let me pay!

The beer guys with samples of hops and barley malt
Goat cheese and free samples

The cheese booth had a goat's milk cheese that was aged for two years and tasted wonderful. It was expensive but the price clearly represented a lot of work and TLC.  
High altitude wine, marjoram beer, barley malt and lemon verbena tea from the fair
This wine is grown at 1350 metres, the highest altitude wine in Europe! Maybe I could grow these grapes at home where it's only 920 metres!

This man had interesting jewelry




No comments:

Post a Comment