Friday, April 4, 2014

Travel tip #2 - Base layers

Increase your comfort and reduce your packing volume. 

I didn't learn about Merino wool T-shirts until about 20 years ago and since then, the storage space occupied by that part of my wardrobe has shrunk dramatically. All I use cotton T-shirts for now is grubby work. The advantages of the magical Merino for neutralizing body odour are particularly useful while travelling. I brought three on this trip and they are more than enough.

Merino socks have similar advantages as Merino T-shirts.

The next part is for guys who wear briefs (versus boxers or nada).

I grew up in cheap cotton briefs from places like K-Mart and in my late 50's (!) got my Mom to stop buying me underwear! Finally I shopped for my own based on scientific principles which I won't go into. What a pleasant surprise to find out that Calvin Klein wasn't just a "fashion" brand! Get the top of the line! The elastic doesn't get droopy after wearing them for a week.

All of this means I need to pack a third the volume of base layer clothing that I used to and it's much more comfortable.

This tip complements Tip #1 because it reduces the amount of laundry I need to do!

Good news: no photos of underwear! 
Last batch of bread I baked for my hosts in Catalunya, whole spelt with sprouted wheat

No comments:

Post a Comment