Monday, November 19, 2018

My latest favourite bar in Florence


Every time my wife and visit a new town In Italy, or a different neighbourhood in an Italian city, a simple pleasure is to sample new coffee bars. The subtle differences in details are fascinating such as what kinds of pannini are on display and whether the other customers are locals or tourists. If we’re in one location for a week or more, it’s even more fun to try to find a favourite bar among the many available. 

The hub of the bar is the “barista”. Sometimes there’s a two-person team with one taking orders for the barista and collecting cash. Other times the barista does everything. The bars with the best service seem to be staffed by the same one, two or three people all the time, indicating that they are owned and operated by an individual or a family. 


The cappuccino I didn't have to order

One of the satisfying things about finding a favourite bar is to walk in after maybe only a few visits and be greeted like a friend. This is an amazing talent for a barista because of the hundreds of customers they must see every day. It certainly makes us feel welcome and want to return. 

I was in Florence for a week of Italian language and art history at Scuola Toscana and the one-kilometre walk between my home-stay and the school presented me with a choice of about ten bars. I was torn between sampling them all and finding a favourite. Friday morning before class, I had a memorable experience at the Caffe Michaelangiolo just north of the Piazza Santa Croce. It was only my third visit and the barista was as busy as a one-armed juggler. I stood at the bar waiting for a chance to order when suddenly, he put my "usual" cappuccino in front of me. I said “per me”? He replied “Si, is it right”? I said “Si! Grazie. You’re amazing”. 

Barista at Caffè Michaelangiolo 

I continued to watch him perform like a one-man-orchestra, zooming around filling orders and cleaning tables during a brief lull. I’m glad I got a photo of my new favourite barista!


No comments:

Post a Comment